|Original Posts (left to right, top to bottom)|
January || February || March
April || May || June
July || August || September ||
October || November || December
Right at the beginning of 2016, my world immediately changed. I was constantly going to doctor appointments and tests to the point that my arm was bruised because of all the needles they poked through my skin. After all that, I was diagnosed with cancer (the full story is on this and this post). There were so many decisions I had to make, things to consider, and sometimes the decision had to be based on the lesser of the two evils.
Even though having cancer is a scary thing, so much good came out of it. I received a big amount of support from everyone I know, there was a lot of love and positivity, and it helped me focus on what is really important in life. It also gave Tre and I an opportunity to spend more time together. It's not that we didn't spend time together, but our work consumed a lot of our time. We both put in a lot of hours and were constantly stressed about work. However, Tre eased back on work to be there for me during chemo. Because of this, it gave us an opportunity to do things we wanted to do but never took the time to do it. It felt good that we could just go for a walk in our neighborhood just because. It made me realize and appreciate the simple things in life.
|Photo by Blossom Lane Photography|
Despite the setbacks from 2016, there were many positive things that happened too. So I thought I could list them (in no particular order).
- Celebrated my sister-in-law and brother-in-law's wedding.
- I became an aunt! Welcomed my nephew into this world.
- Actually watched the Olympics during the day (it was on during my recovery from my surgery).
- My hair is growing back!
- Met some of the most incredible and inspirational people. Despite their own challenges, they saw a lot of positivity in life and continue to live life to the fullest.
- Getting involved in a nonprofit organization.
- Katie Couric did an Instagram post about me.
- Became a mentor for young cancer fighters through Imerman Angels.
- My brother-in-law created t-shirts to support me and over 200 people bought them!
- My best friend and her cousin did the Avon 39 The walk to End Breast Cancer in my honor and raised over $30K.
- Done with chemo! Still going through treatments but it is no longer as harsh.
- Celebrated our one year wedding anniversary.
- I can go on and on because like I said the good outweighs the bad, but overall, I was surrounded by love.
I am feeling very optimistic about 2017. In a couple days I look forward to a whole new year filled with more love and happiness.
I wish you all a Happy New Year!!