This cucumber elderflower collins cocktail recipe is so refreshing! Empress 1908 Gin named this cocktail the Empress Layover. However, it is essentially a collins cocktail. If you are unfamiliar with what a collins drink is, it is a sour cocktail (in this case I used lemon juice) with a base spirit (typically gin) and carbonated water. Then it is served in a tall glass.
While you can pretty much use any gin in this drink, I love using the Empress 1908 Gin. While the cocktail in these photos has a light purple hue (which I think is really cool), it will start to turn pink over time (even better color haha, can you tell pink is my favorite color?). I personally didn’t want to wait until the drink turned pink to take these photos. But the pink hue is really pretty!
The cucumber adds freshness and makes a perfect porch / balcony drinking cocktail. I also love any cocktail with elderflower in it. It adds a light touch of sweetness (hence why you don’t need simple syrup in this recipe) with subtle floral flavor. This floral flavor is nothing like lavender or rose. It’s more delicate and overall refreshing.
Cucumber Elderflower Collins Recipe
- 1.5 oz Empress 1908 Gin
- 1 oz freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 oz Elderflower Cordial (you can purchase on Amazon or World Market, but occasionally I spot them in grocery stores)
- Sparkling Water (I like to use Topo Chico, but feel free to use your preferred sparkling water)
- 2 sprigs of Rosemary (save 1 for garnish)
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle cucumber. Cut slices of cumber lengthwise and use one slice. Save another slice for garnish. Then add one sprig of rosemary.
- Combine the Empress Gin, lemon juice, and elderflower cordial in the cocktail shaker. Fill with ice and shake for 30 seconds.
- Fill your glass with ice. A tall glass works best with this drink. If you want to garnish with a slice of cucumber, first add the slice of cumber and wrap it around the glass. Then fill the glass with ice.
- Grab a strainer and set it on top of the glass and pour the drink mix into the glass. This will catch the cucumber seeds and skin.
- Top it off with sparkling water. Add 1 sprig of rosemary for garnish.
Drinkware Recommendations For Cucumber Elderflower Collins
What are your thoughts on cucumber and elderflower in cocktails?