How to look chic in basic pieces is so easy. Honestly, I really think the secret to looking effortlessly chic is to keep your outfit simple!
5 Simple Steps to Look Chic in Basic Pieces
- Pick good quality basic pieces. Basic pieces in general are simple, but the quality is what separates your casual outfit from looking frumpy to chic. Hence, why I like to invest my money in basic pieces. Some people find it ridiculous, but trust me when you find good quality ones, it makes all the difference!
- Pick the right fit. Don’t just pick a t-shirt just because it is a t-shirt. Try it on. How does it fit? You want to feel confident in what you are wearing! Confidence for sure helps create a chic look.
- Do the tuck. Seriously though, something about doing just the front tuck, side tuck, or just tucking in your entire top in your jeans (or pants or skirt) immediately transforms your outfit.
- Go High-Waisted. High-waisted jeans, pants, or skirts are just naturally flattering. It seriously doesn’t matter what your body frame is because it will look good! Plus, can we talk about how it is hassle-free? Remember when low-rise was in and ugh you have to worry about your butt crack potentially showing. With high-waisted bottoms, you don’t have to worry about it!
- Lightly accessorize. I think accessorizing can elevate your outfit and give it a chic-er feel. The trick is not to overdue the accessories. Just one or two, or possibly 3 accessories max. For this outfit, I really just accessorize by using my silk scarf and tying it onto my straw bag. I use the accessories to let my clothes be the main focus.
I’m no pro at looking chic, but these 5 tips above have helped me look chic in basic pieces!
This outfit consists of all basic and classic pieces. One of my favorite places to shop for good quality basic pieces is Everlane. They nail the fit and quality every time. And they make it so easy to look chic in basic pieces. Plus, they are affordable. My tank top is only $15. It is slightly cropped. This means that it is shorter than your average tank top but covers past the belly button. It has a swing style, which I love because it makes it breezy (perfect for hot days) and makes it easy to do a front tuck! This tank fits true to size. I’m wearing a small.
These jeans are my all time favorite. I’ve been wearing them nonstop since I got them! They were also featured in last week’s post. Can you believe they’re only $68! I’m wearing the cheeky straight jeans in ankle length. Mine is in the sky blue wash. For reference, I’m 5’4″ and the ankle hits right at my ankle. If I want a more cropped look, I can just fold my jeans once or twice. If ankle length is not your thing, they also come in regular length! These jeans also fit true to size.
What about you? How do you look chic in basic pieces? I think fashion and style is something that always evolves and I would love to learn from you!