Switch to Clean Beauty
Since our skin is our body’s largest organ it is so important to really take good care of it and being mindful of my personal care products. One of my goals is using safe beauty products and switch to non-toxic products. When I looked at all my skincare and makeup products, most of them are considered a toxic beauty product.
I discovered that many of the ingredients used to make some skin care and makeup products are toxins (ew, like rat poison) and may cause major long term health issues (such as cancer, birth defects, asthma, etc). I already have had my experiences with major health issues and trust me, I don’t want to go through another one. Which is why it is another reason why I’m making the switch to safe beauty. I want to do all that I can humanly possible to take better care of my health and hopefully prevent reoccurrence. Cancer is such a big part of my life and I know with simple changes as this can really make a difference.
Why I Am Making The Switch To Safe Beauty
I understand that some health issues are out of our control, like me getting diagnosed with breast cancer, but there are some things we can do to try to be preventative. So whatever I can control, I am willing to make those necessary changes. I also want to share that I am learning and starting to convert my beauty products into safe products.
Another thing that’s great when making the switch to clean products is that I love how they feel on my skin. I have very sensitive skin and they seem to be compatible with me. They’re also more effective. I notice my skin has more glow, less acne, etc.
Clean makeup is incredible. I’m not really big on makeup and to be honest my makeup only takes 5 minutes to do. But I’ve been so impressed with clean makeup. They don’t feel like you’re wearing makeup yet they’re long-lasting. It instantly gives you that no-makeup makeup look (if that’s what you’re looking for). Of course, they have options to give a more done-up make up too. My ALL TIME FAVORITE mascara is the ILIA limitless mascara. This mascara works better than other mascara I have ever used. So you don’t need to be into clean beauty to love it.
Sample of Ingredients to Look Out For
Here is a sample of harmful ingredients and harmful chemicals to look out for when buying cosmetics and skincare products.
One thing that is very important to look out for are products that consider themself as ‘natural beauty’. Natural beauty doesn’t necessary mean clean and non-toxic. That term is used very loosely in the beauty industry.
Also, just because something is ‘natural’ does not mean it is actually good for you. Put it this way… poison ivy is natural. But would you ever rub poison ivy all over you?
- Benzalkonium chloride: a disinfectant used as a preservative and surfactant associated with severe skin, eye, and respiratory irritation and allergies. Found in: sunscreens, moisturizers.
- BHA and BHT: synthetic antioxidants used to extend shelf life. They are likely carcinogens and hormone disruptors and may cause liver damage. Found in: lipsticks, moisturizers, diaper creams, and other cosmetics.
- Coal tar hair dyes and other coal tar ingredients: a byproduct of coal processing that is a known carcinogen. It is used as a colorant and an anti-dandruff agent. Found in: hair dye, shampoo.
- Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (EDTA): a chelating (binding) agent added to cosmetics to improve stability. May be toxic to organs. Found in: hair color, moisturizers.
- Ethanolamines (MEA/DEA/TEA): surfactants and pH adjuster linked to allergies, skin toxicity, hormone disruption, and inhibited fetal brain development. Found in: hair dyes, mascara, foundation, fragrances, sunscreens, dry cleaning solvents, paint, pharmaceuticals.
- Formaldehyde: used as a preservative in cosmetics. A known carcinogen that is also linked to asthma, neurotoxicity, and developmental toxicity. Found in: shampoo, body wash, bubble bath.
- Hydroquinone: a skin-lightening chemical that inhibits the production of melanin and is linked to cancer, organ toxicity, and skin irritation. Found in: skin-lightening creams.
- Oxybenzone: sunscreen agent and ultraviolet light absorber linked to irritation, sensitization and allergies, and possible hormone disruption. Found in: sunscreen, moisturizer.
- Parabens (methyl-, isobutyl-, propyl- and others): a class of preservatives commonly used to prevent the growth of bacteria and mold. Parabens are endocrine disruptors (hormone disruptors), which may alter important hormone mechanisms in our bodies. Found in: shampoo, face cleanser, body wash, body lotion, foundation.
To get a full list of ingredients to look out for, check it out here.
Favorite Places To Shop For Clean Beauty
- Credo Beauty
- Maelove (full review of them here)
- Sephora (look for the products tag as “Clean at Sephora”)
- Cleansing Balm: This stuff is amazing!! It does an amazing job removing makeup while adding moisture back to your skin. My skin is so soft after using the cleansing balm. It has goodies like Vitamin C, raspberry and cranberry seed oil to brighten the appearance of your skin and hydrate. It also comes with a muslim cloth which you can use to wipe off the balm (see below for more details about the muslim cloth).
- No. 1 Brightening Facial Oil: Face oils are definitely something anyone needs to add to their skincare routine. This Brightening Facial Oil has Vitamin C, therefore it helps brighten, hydrate, and even out skin tone. Since Vitamin C is sensitive to the sun, I usually apply this at night only. If you do decide to use this during the day, I recommend applying sunscreen too.
- No. 3 Balancing Facial Oil: This face oils helps restore balance while calming, soothing, and clarifying your skin. It is great for anyone who has acne-prone skin (like me!).
- Eye Cream: This eye cream is rich in aloe and coconut oil giving it the perfect nourishment and hydration for the eye area.
- Cleansing Cloths (3): These muslim cloths are amazing to use for your face. It is great to use to wipe off the cleansing balm or any face cleanser. It works like an exfoliate and really removes any grime on your face. I especially love these cloths for removing clay masks. I don’t know about you but I struggle removing clay masks off my face thoroughly with just water. And a face towel just absorbs the water and mask. These cloths effectively remove the clay mask! And they can be machine washed!
- Peppermint Lip Conditioner: This lip conditioner protects and hydrates your lips. After one day of using it, I noticed a significant difference with my lips. This one is peppermint scented and I just love how refreshing it feels on my lips. I usually use the peppermint one at night since I find peppermint soothing.
- Calendula Lip Conditioner: This lip conditioner is just as good as the peppermint one, just a different scent! This is the one I use during the day. If you can’t decide which lip conditioner to use (or want both), they also offer a lip conditioner set. You’ll get both the peppermint and calendula. I also think this is a great value. The cost of the set is less than buying both conditioners individually.
- Sheer Lipstick ‘Scarlet’: I’ve been on a hunt for a lipstick that didn’t make my lips feel dry. This lipstick glides and feels like a lip balm but has the color of a lipstick. It is the most moisturizing lipstick I have ever used and I loved it! I own it in the Scarlet color and it is the perfect shade of red for me.
Still Learning About Safe Beauty
As I mentioned above, making the switch to safe beauty products is a new venture for me. I’m constantly learning and finding out more about clean beauty. Therefore, I will admit that there are some products that I still use that are considered unsafe.
I cannot agree with you more how important it is to buy beauty products that aren’f full of chemicals and what not. I’ve been very picky myself. My fave is organic coconut oil! It’s so so good for your skin!
Have a wonderful weekend, love!
Glad you agree Vanessa! Oo yes, coconut oil is amazing! Have a great weekend!
Kelssey Layton says
I’ve had several friends rave about Beauty Counter and am so intrigued by it! The packaging is all so good! I need to try it ASAP!
I do love their packaging! Definitely worth checking out!
Annette Dattilo says
Wow – the information here is mind blowing and terrifying. Definitely sparked something to reconsider the products I’m using. Thank you for sharing.
I know, I was shocked the first time I found out what can be in our beauty products! No problem and hope you found it helpful!
So, so important to shop safe beauty. That list of bad ingredients is super helpful!
xx, Danielle | Pineapple & Prosecco
So important! Glad I can help Danielle!
Thank you for sharing! Good to reconsider…
Irena Nováková, Shop It With Me
I definitely need to look into ingredients a lot more. These look so good I love the packaging too. Cleansing balms are so gentle for the skin i just bought one today x
Definitely worth looking into! Feel free to email me if you want to try some!
Anna English says
I’ve heard great things about Beautycounter. I can’t wait to hear about your results and which products you love!
The ones I featured are the ones I love!
Amy Arnold says
Gosh, that list is scary! I think I need to pay closer attention.
Straight A Style
fashion influencer says
great products selection
new review on my blog <<< Abiby Winter Box – the new beautybox >>>
have a nice day, a big kiss
Marcia B says
wow thank you for this post, I’m going to look into Beauty counter.
No problem Marcia! Feel free to email me if you want to try!
I need to turn myself into better safe products!
Such an interesing article.
I never heard about this brand before.
Thanks Margot! It is fairly new, but they have an amazing mission!
I keep hearing such rave reviews about this product and I’ve wondered if it’s all just hype or not. I want to try them out for myself soon, but I loved reading this post because it felt super genuine!
I will tell you this, I only shared the products that I think works best. But overall, I love Beautycounter because of their mission of safe beauty!
Laura Leigh says
This is so funny that you’re posting this today. I just met with an all natural beauty company yesterday and we were talking about how important it is to wear safe make up and use safe skincare! There’s no need to add those extra chemicals into your body. You already get so many from the air and food. Love you sharing this gal!! Every woman needs to read.
xo Laura Leigh
No way! And yes so true girl! Definitely agree every women needs to read this!
These sound like lovely products, and it’s great you’ve found a routine and brand that works for you 🙂
I changed a lot of my products up while pregnant, it’s a lot cheaper too as so many of the brands I use are local Aussie ones!
Hope that you are having a wonderful weekend! We’re going to have a quiet one here after a similarly quiet week, as we’ve been a bit under the weather.
Away From The Blue Blog
That is awesome! I’m glad you made the change! I hope you feel better real soon!
Meron Dymphana says
Oh my!!! Rat poison!!!! That is quite dangerous, I heard that rumor in my country but I didn’t think it was true but now that I ma reading this I am worried because I never look at the ingredients of the beauty products that I purchase. I am in love with the beauty counter products, they have amazing benefits and they are healthy. Thank you so much for sharing his post, it will definitely help a lot of people.
It is insane whats in some of that stuff. Unfortunately, the ingredients are not often regulated. Glad I can help!
Commented on your FB too, but this article is so great! I don’t think most people (like me!) realize how many chemicals and toxins are in our makeup. I only found out from a dermatologist visit during a breakout. It’s so great that brands like Beautycounter are here to help us take good care of our skin!
Yes, thank you for your comment and glad you agree and are taking the initiative to be more cautious!
Such a beautiful outfit!
Their products are great! I have their cleansing balm, lipstick and bronzer! I also use some of their baby products!! So good!
Are they so good! Glad you are using them!
perfume and make up says
I love very skin balm and eye cream
But how can I buy?
you can buy through me. You can send me an email about which products you one or click on any of the Beautycounter links and place your order!
This post is so informative and I am now going to look at all my skin care products!
Glad it was helpful Kim!
They have some good products. I need to order some stuff again. Thanks for the reminder.
They really do!
I need to start taking better care of my skin!! I need to try these products!! xo
If you want to try Beautycounter, let me know!
Such a great post.Very useful.Safe beauty is really very important for skin.Thanks for sharing this especially on the ingridients to look out for.
No problem Sophie! Glad I can help!
Jessica Ackley says
I’ll be buying a lot of these and keeping an eye out for more safe beauty products! These look great!
I hope you like them Jessica! Keep me posted on what you think!
I absolutely agree dear! I believe we consumers shoudl look beyond the fancy bottles and promises of these beauty products in the market, and take a good look of their ingredients. Thanks for sharing these tips, really informative.
Jessica | notjessfashion.com
Thank you so much for agreeing Jessica!