Since quarantine, I’ve been making lots of cocktails and sharing them on Instagram. My favorite spirit of choice lately is Empress 1908 Gin. I discovered Empress 1908 Gin a few months ago when my friend Katie invited me to take a charcuterie board class. That was so much fun! They provided cocktails at the event and all the cocktails were made with Empress 1908 Gin only. I was immediately blow away. It is a hand-crafted spirit from Victoria distillers in British Columbia, Canada. This is a botanical infused gin, and it has a natural purple hue. I love the color! In my opinion, it just makes your drink look a little bit more fun!
This gin is inspired by the renowned tea and cocktail programs of the iconic Fairmont Empress Hotel in Victoria. Doesn’t it sound so regal?! And sometimes the color changes depending on what is being put into the drink.
This gin is unique because of its flavor. As I mentioned earlier, it is botanical infused. It includes butterfly pea blossom, fairmont empress tea, juniper, grapefruit peel, coriander seed, cinnamon bark, rose petal, and ginger root. Trust me, it is delicious! You should be able to find Empress 1908 Gin at your local liquor store. If you’re in Chicago, they definitely have it at Binnys! You can also purchase it online.
Empress Blackberry Gin Fizz
- 1.5 oz Empress 1908 Gin
- 0.5 oz Simple Syrup (about 1 tablespoon)
- 2 -3 blackberries
- 1 oz freshly squeezed lemon juice (about half a lemon or 2 tablespoons)
- sparkling water (I love to use Topo Chico)
- lemon slices for garnish (I use about 2 slices)
- Muddle 2-3 blackberries in the bottom of the glass. I love to use a whiskey glass for this cocktail.
- In a cocktail shaker, combine the Empress 1908 Gin, simple syrup, and lemon juice. Fill the shaker with ice and shake for 30 seconds.
- Fill the glass with ice. If you want to garnish with lemon slice, I recommend first filling the glass halfway with ice, add the lemon slices and then fill the rest with ice. That way the lemon slices can easily stand up around the glass and stay put.
- Pour the drink mix into the glass. Top it off with sparkling water.
Drinkware Recommendation for Empress Blackberry Gin Fizz
I recommend using a whiskey glass style or any short glassware.
You’ll definitely need a cocktail shaker.
What about you? Have you been making cocktails? What is your favorite one to make?