What is Dalgona Coffee?
Have you heard of Dalgona coffee? It’s the whipped coffee that has been trending on social media. I made it a couple weeks ago, and some of you were asking how to make it. I know I already shared the recipe on Instagram, but I thought it would be fun to share again. That way you can always come back here in case you forget the recipe. Making Dalgona coffee is so easy! And it is a great way to elevate your coffee experience while at home! This coffee drink has now become known as the ‘quarantine drink’ ever since it went viral on Tik Tok so people kept calling it the Tik Tok drink.
If you are curious about the history of Dalgona coffee, it actually started in an eatery in Macau. After a South Korean actor ordered this whipped coffee, he created it and added Dalgona. In fact, Dalgona is a Korean honeycomb toffee. Hence, how it got the name Dalgona coffee.
Dalgona Coffee Recipe
- 2 Tablespoon Instant Coffee
- 2 Tablespoon Sugar
- 2 Tablespoon Warm Water
- Whisk together the instant coffee, sugar, and warm water. Then you can hand whisk it or use an electric hand mixer. I used an electric hand mixer and it made it so much easier.
- Continue to whisk until the coffee mixture has a lighter brown color and creates stiff peaks. So this takes about 6 minutes.
- Grab a tall glass and add ice and milk of your choice. You can seriously use any milk that you prefer to drink. I used oat milk, but it works with whole milk, almond milk, skim milk, etc.
- Top it off with the whipped coffee.
Optional: You can definitely add chocolate syrup to this! Prior to adding the milk to the glass, drizzle chocolate syrup. Then add the milk and whipped coffee and then top it off with chocolate syrup again.
Equipment To Make The Whipped Coffee
While you can use a whisk, I highly recommend using an electric mixer. You’ll be whisking for 5-6 minutes, and trust me, it gets tiring very quickly. So below are affordable options.
I personally think electric mixers are a kitchen tool must! Especially, if you don’t have a Kitchen Aid stand mixer. The portable electric mixer works as a great alternative!
You can use the instant coffee of your choice. But if you don’t frequently buy instant coffee, here are some options. A lot of coffee connoisseurs claim that Waka Coffee is the best instant coffee out there.
Have you tried Dalgona coffee?