SHOP THE OUTFIT: Embroidered Maxi Skirt (recommend sizing down, I’m wearing an XS and my normal size is a Small) | Reformation White Bodysuit (recommend sizing up, I’m wearing a medium) | Gold Monogram Necklace |
Wow, I received a crazy amount of requests for this spicy skinny cucumber margarita recipe when I shared it on Instagram! I love this drink. It tastes so light and refreshing compared to your average margarita. The best part is that you don’t need Triple Sec. I’m not opposed to it, but I don’t really have it in my house and don’t always have a need for it. Since Cinco de Mayo is coming (how is it already May?!?!) this drink will be perfect. This recipe is sooooo easy and almost everything you may already have in your home. All you really need to go out and buy (which you may already have in your house) is a good bottle of silver tequila.
Also, this skinny margarita recipe can be customizable! After I share the directions, I will go over how you can customize it.
Spicy Skinny Cucumber Margarita Recipe
- 1.5 oz Silver Tequila
- Half a lime of freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 oz orange juice (about 2 tablespoons – I used store bought)
- Cucumber (about 5-6 slices)
- Jalapeño (about 5-6 slices)
- Sparkling water or flavored sparkling water (love to use Topo Chico or for flavor, I love to use Waterloo)
- Salt (for garnish)
- Chili powder (for garnish)
- Cayenne pepper (for garnish)
If you want to have the salted rim, you must salt the rim before adding the cocktail to the glass. I combined salt, a pinch of chili powder, and a very very small pinch of cayenne pepper (if you want it to be extra spicy). Grab a lime and rub it around the rim of the glass. Then dip the rim into the salt mixture.
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle the cucumber. Then add the jalapeño and slightly muddle it. Depending on how spicy you want it, you can add more or less jalapeño slices.
- Add the tequila, orange juice, and lime juice into the cocktail shaker.
- Add ice to the shaker and shake for about 30 seconds.
- Fill your glass with ice, and pour the drink into the glass. If you don’t like having bits of cucumber and jalapeño in your glass, you can strain it as you add it to the glass.
- Top it off with sparkling water. If you want to add flavor, I love to use flavored sparkling water (like Waterloo or whichever brand you want).
- Garnish with a couple slices of jalapeño!
How To Customize This Skinny Margarita Recipe
I mentioned this in Step 5, but if you want to add an additional flavor, use a flavored sparkling water. I’ve tried it both ways, regular sparkling water and flavored sparkling water and both are tasty! If you want a more traditional flavor, use the lime flavor. But using the mango or grapefruit sparkling water is delicious too!
Even though this is a skinny cucumber margarita, it doesn’t have to have cucumber and it can be a classic spicy skinny margarita.
If you’re not into spicy food, you can remove the jalapeño. You can make this drink a classic skinny cucumber margarita or a classic skinny margarita!
Make It Sweet
If you want the drink to be sweeter, you can use agave nectar or simple syrup.
Drinkware Recommendation for the Spicy Skinny Cucumber Margarita
If you have a Margarita glass, even better. But I usually just pour mine into a short glass or tumbler. See below for my favorite options.
Short Glasses / Tumblers: